Hernandez Pleads Guilty to Reporting Fake Bomb Threats

Hernandez Pleads Guilty to Reporting Fake Bomb Threats

Rodriguez-Hernandez Pleads Guilty to Reporting Fake Bomb Threats Against Federal Building
Assistant U.S. Attorney Brian L. Hazen (619) 546-6695
NEWS RELEASE SUMMARY – March 8, 2021

SAN DIEGO (STL.News) Manuel de Jesus Rodriguez-Hernandez pleaded guilty in federal court to reporting fake bomb threats against the Imperial Regional Detention Facility in Calexico, California.  The charge to which Rodriguez-Hernandez pleaded guilty carries a statutory maximum of five years in federal prison.

On January 13, 2021, Mr. Rodriguez-Hernandez was housed as a civil detainee at the Imperial Regional Detention Facility awaiting federal immigration proceedings.  That afternoon, he called the U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s hotline and said that earlier in the day he had been speaking with his wife on the telephone when the line was interrupted by an unknown person who said there was a bomb at the Detention Facility that was going to explode.

Shortly after the Facility’s management was notified of the threat, security personnel activated emergency protocols, which included the deployment of the bomb squad from the Imperial County Sheriff’s Office.  After hanging up with the hotline, Mr. Rodriguez-Hernandez separately approached a detention officer and told the same story—that a bomb was at the detention facility and it was going to explode. 

Continue reading Hernandez Pleads Guilty to Reporting Fake Bomb Threats at STL.News.